Spier Shiraz - Lower Alcohol Red Wine
Spier Shiraz - Lower Alcohol Red Wine
5.5% ABV | 750ml
Spier Shiraz is a carefully crafted lower-alcohol red wine boasting a moderate 5.5% alcohol content, a unique offering from one of South Africa's most respected and historic wineries. Spier has been producing exquisite wines since 1692, with a dedication to sustainability and nature preservation that is clearly reflected in their winemaking approach.
This Shiraz is a testament to Spier's skilful winemaking, providing all the spicy richness, depth, and complexity associated with the classic Shiraz varietal, yet it remains light and accessible due to its lower alcohol level. A lustrous ruby-red colour in the glass, the wine entices with aromas of red and dark fruits, subtly layered with notes of warm spices and a hint of oak.
The palate is beautifully balanced, offering ripe fruit flavours, a touch of pepper and a soft, yet structured tannic backbone. Despite its lighter alcohol content, this Shiraz doesn't compromise on its full-bodied character and robust flavour profile. It's the perfect choice for those seeking a less potent, but equally satisfying, wine experience. The Spier Shiraz truly encapsulates the winery's ethos of creating high-quality, sustainable wines that celebrate the rich wine heritage of South Africa.
View full details
Spier Shiraz Tasting notes:
Spier Shiraz, with its modest 5.5% alcohol content, offers an expressive sensory experience. Here are some detailed tasting notes to enrich your appreciation of this captivating wine:
- Appearance: This Shiraz exhibits a deep, garnet red hue, typical of the varietal, inviting you in for a closer taste.
- Aroma: On the nose, it presents a compelling bouquet layered with dark fruit aromas, predominantly ripe blackberry, bold cherry, and soft undertones of juicy raspberry. A whisper of warm spices, particularly clove and black pepper, adds an extra dimension, alongside a gentle smokiness from well-integrated oak.
- Taste: On the palate, the wine unfurls its full-bodied richness, surprising in its lightness due to the lower alcohol content. The dark fruit flavours promised by the aroma are generously replicated, with additional plum notes and a hint of tart redcurrant for balance. Spicy undertones lend depth and stimulate the taste buds, while soft, structured tannins provide a satisfying mouthfeel.
- Finish: Spier Shiraz leaves you with a refreshing finish thanks to its balanced acidity, continuing to impress with its memorable dark fruit and spice impression.
Overall, the Spier Shiraz stands as a fine example of a lower-alcohol wine that delivers a full-bodied, flavour-packed experience without the high alcohol content typically associated with the varietal. It's a testament to Spier's dedication to crafting quality wines that satisfy both the palate and the desire for moderate alcohol consumption.
Spier Shiraz, with its rich dark fruit flavours and hint of spice, pairs wonderfully with a range of dishes. Here are some food suggestions that complement this wine:
- Grilled Meats: The robust flavours of this Shiraz complement grilled meats exceptionally well. Consider pairing with barbecue ribs, steaks or lamb chops.
- Game: If you're into game meats, this Shiraz is a great companion. Venison or duck would be a fantastic pairing.
- Spicy Dishes: The spiciness of the Shiraz can hold up against spicy dishes, whether it's spicy sausages, Indian curry or Mexican cuisine.
- Roasted Vegetables: The earthy flavours of roasted or grilled vegetables would balance the fruit-forward flavours of the Shiraz, making for a harmonious pairing.
- Mature Cheeses: A platter of mature cheeses, such as cheddar or gouda, can provide a rich contrast to the wine's dark fruit flavours and spice.
These food pairings with the Spier Shiraz will not only enhance your dining experience but also give you a new appreciation for the versatility of this lighter-alcohol wine.
Here are some serving suggestions to fully appreciate the Spier Shiraz:
- Proper Glassware: Use a large, round glass (often referred to as a balloon glass) that tapers at the top to concentrate the aromatic compounds of the Shiraz and deliver them to your nose. This will enhance your perception of the wine's complex bouquet.
- Decanting: If possible, decant the wine about an hour before serving to allow it to breathe and fully express its flavours and aromas.
- Chilling: Despite being a red wine, a Shiraz can benefit from slight chilling. Aim to serve it at a temperature of about 16-18°C (60-64°F), which is slightly cooler than room temperature. This will help to elevate its rich, fruit-forward flavours.
- Food Pairing: Serve with dishes such as grilled meats, spicy foods, or a cheese platter to bring out the best in both the wine and the food.
These serving suggestions will help you to fully enjoy the Spier Shiraz and enhance your overall wine tasting experience.
"The Gentle" is an innovative alcohol brand founded by Moritz Zyrewitz and Stefan Canditt, borne out of a shared love for wine and a vision for creating enjoyable, less-alcoholic beverages. Moritz Zyrewitz, the founder and idea generator for The Gentle wine GmbH, brings years of expertise in the field of de-alcoholised wines, ensuring each product is meticulously crafted to his envisioned taste. Stefan Canditt, the co-founder, brings robust operational and purchasing experience, contributing to a seamless and structured business process.
The genesis of The Gentle is rooted in an all-too-common experience – a pounding headache after an evening of over-indulgence. With the intention to create a delightful, guilt-free drinking experience without the usual aftermath, Moritz and Stefan embarked on their journey to formulate a wine with the full taste but only half the alcohol content. Their solution was a clever reinterpretation of a time-honoured winemaking technique known as cuvéeing. By blending traditional wine with gently de-alcoholised wine, they succeeded in creating a range of beverages with just 6% alcohol - full of flavour but lighter on the head.
In this journey, they found invaluable support and synergy in the Wasem family winery. The three Wasem brothers - Julius, Philipp, and Gerhard - representing the fourth generation of this family of passionate vintners, bring an unparalleled depth of knowledge and tradition to this collaboration. Their winery not only offers exquisite wines but also extends to an elegantly connected hotel and a culinary experience focused on fine, regional food.
"The Gentle", with its innovative approach to winemaking, and the Wasem family, with their generational expertise and passion for wine, together embody a fusion of tradition and modernity. The result is a range of beautifully crafted, half-alcohol wines that deliver on taste, enjoyment, and sophistication without compromise. Their shared commitment to continually experimenting and enhancing their offerings reflects the spirit of curiosity and progress that defines The Gentle. This pursuit of excellence in every bottle is what makes The Gentle an exceptional choice for those who seek full enjoyment with mindful drinking.
Spier Shiraz - Lower Alcohol Red Wine
Nutritional Information per 100g
Disclaimer: At Dry Drinker, we take great care to ensure the accuracy of product information displayed on our website. However, product recipes may change periodically, impacting nutrition and allergen information. As a result, we advise that you always review product labels and not rely solely on the information presented on our website.
For specific advice regarding any Dry Drinker or ZeroHero™ branded products, please contact our Customer Care Team. For all other products, we recommend reaching out to the manufacturer directly.
The information provided on our website is intended for personal use only. Reproducing this information in any form without the prior consent of Dry Drinker Limited or without proper acknowledgement is strictly prohibited.
Delivery & Returns
How Much is Delivery?
Enjoy free delivery on orders over £69 when placed before 5 pm.
For orders below £69, a standard delivery charge of £4.99 applies.
Most orders placed by 5 pm will typically be delivered on the next working day.
Do you deliver at the weekend?
Saturday Delivery is available for £8.99. To ensure timely dispatch, please complete your order by 5 pm on Friday, allowing enough time for picking and packing. Please note we don't ship or deliver on UK Bank Holidays.
Are there any restrictions?
Our next-day delivery is available for 99% of the UK mainland. However, some Scottish mainland postcodes may incur higher charges. Saturday delivery serves mainland England, Wales, Edinburgh, and Glasgow. Regrettably, it doesn't cover Aberdeen, the Highlands, or the following postcodes: PA, FK, DD, AD, PH, IV, KO, HS, BT, KA, and KY.
Do you make deliveries to Northern Ireland?
Certainly, we do deliver to Northern Ireland. Kindly allow 5 to 7 working days for your order to arrive.
Do you make deliveries to more remote areas of the UK?
Indeed, we deliver to the Islands and Highlands. Delivery times for these areas are based on your order's weight, and typically take 7-10 working days.
I want to make a very large order.
We regard an order as large when it consists of 20 cases or more, with each case containing 12 bottles/cans. Although next-day delivery isn't guaranteed for such orders, we'll ensure delivery within three working days from the order date.
If you need to contact us for any reason please use the contact option on our website here.
Don’t forget your order number and to send us a photo.
Please check your delivery as soon as you receive it as we can’t give a refund if it is more than 24 hours after delivery.
More information available here
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Opens in a new window.