Hey there, lovely people! We get it; enjoying a drink or two is often a part of life's little pleasures. But have you ever stopped to think about the magic that could happen if you cut down just a smidge? We're not talking about going cold turkey—just a little trim here and there. A better relationship with alcohol and drinking less, or opting for non-alcoholic drink options instead, can lead to benefits. Trust us; your body and soul will thank you.
9 Benefits of Cutting Down on Alcohol
1. Better Sleep
Who doesn't love a good night's sleep? Cutting down on alcohol can improve your sleep quality, making you feel more refreshed and ready to conquer the day. Alcohol causes you to spend less time in the REM-stage of sleep, meaning you're likely to wake up early and find it hard to fall asleep again. It can also cause you to snore more and need the bathroom more in the night It's like giving your body a mini-vacation every night.
2. Help with Weight Loss
Shedding those extra pounds becomes easier when alcohol's not in the picture. You'll consume fewer empty calories, and your metabolism will thank you. Alcohol itself contains nearly as many calories per gram as pure fat, and when drinking alcohol, you're more likely to be consuming 'extra' calories on top of your normal diet. Plus, you'll have more energy for that morning jog or yoga session.
3. Save Money
Less booze means more money in your pocket. Think of all the experiences you could enjoy or the investments you could make. Your future self will be grateful.
4. Improved Skin
Get ready for your close-up! Alcohol dehydrates your skin and deprives it of vital nutirents, but cutting it down can lead to better hydration and a radiant glow. It's like your skin's way of saying thank you.
5. Brighter Mood
Alcohol can be a mood dampener. It disrupts the chemicals and processes in your brain affecting your thoughts and feelings. It can even have long-term impacts on your mental health. Cutting back can lift that fog, making room for more joy, clarity, and emotional balance. It's like mental spring cleaning.
6. Lower Risk of Alcohol-Related Illnesses
From liver disease to certain cancers, reducing alcohol intake can significantly lower your health risks. Risk level is depenant on how much alcohol is drunk over the long-term, as well as family history and lifestyle. It's a proactive step towards a longer, healthier life.
Short term benefits of cutting down can include:
- Less fatty build up around the liver
- Lower blood sugar levels
- Reduce high blood pressure
- Better absorption of nutirents like folic acid and zinc
7. Improve Fertility
If you consider expanding the family, less alcohol can improve fertility rates in both men and women. Ovulation and sperm quality can be impacted by alcohol, however, women can reverse the above risks to their fertility by cutting out alcohol before getting pregnant, and men by cutting right down or stopping.
Fertility was actually one of the reasons Stuart, Dry Drinker Founder, started seraching for more non alcoholic drink options, and eventually started the company when he couldn't find a goo source of what he was looking for. It's about creating the best possible start for a new life.
8. Help Your Stomach
Your digestive system will be doing a happy dance. Less alcohol means less acid, reducing bloating and discomfort, as well as less risk of gastritis and stomach ulcers. It's a win for your gut health.
9. Discover New Habits & Improve Relationships
You can explore new hobbies or deepen existing relationships with more time and energy. Its also likely that when drinking, you're commonly in the same few places, with the same people so less alcohol may mean you need a new routine. It's a chance to redefine what fun and connection mean to you.
Tips for Cutting Down on Alcohol
- Understand Why You Want to Drink Less: Dig deep and find your 'why'. It'll be your guiding star.
- Set a Goal: Whether a day, a week or a month, set achievable goals and celebrate your victories, no matter how small.
- Take Up a New Hobby: Use the time and energy you'd spend drinking on something that enriches your life. Painting, anyone?
- Suggest New Social Plans: Swap the pub for a picnic, a movie night, or a hike. The fun doesn't always come in a glass.
- Try Non-Alcoholic Drink Alternatives: Have you tried our Dry Drinker beers? They're a game-changer.
- Tell Your Friends and Family: Share your goals with loved ones for that extra layer of accountability.
- Keep It Manageable: Opt for smaller servings or drinks with lower ABV. Baby steps still move you forward.
Cutting down on alcohol isn't about missing out but gaining so much more. And if you're looking for a tasty alternative, why not try our Dry Drinker beers? Cheers to a life full of joy, health, and meaningful moments!